As the year draws to a close, I would like to share with you a recap of some of the best books that I read during 2013. Over the course of the year, I read nearly 60 books. These are my top ten, in no particular order.
- vN by Madeline Ashby – A young robot girl eats her psycho grandma, throwing relations between humans and robots into chaos.
- The Mad Scientist’s Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke – Girl and robot fall in love, but let society’s conceptions of them get in the way of their relationship.
- Glow by Jessica Maria Tuccelli – Multi-generational story exploring racism in the American south.
- The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch – The Gentleman Bastards are up to new adventures, this time rigging an election for the Bondsmagi.
- The Black Fire Concerto by Mike Allen – A girl is rescued from a zombie-eating cult by a woman with a magic pipe.
- Burial Rites by Hannah Kent – A woman accused of murder awaits her execution in an Icelandic village.
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman – A man returns to his hometown for a funeral and reminisces about his friendship with Lettie Hempstock, a neighbor girl.
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor – A blue-haired teenager raised by magical creatures finds herself at the center of a conflict between heaven and hell.
- The Spirit Keeper by K.B. Laugheed – A young woman is kidnapped by Native Americans and decides to join them rather than returning to her abusive family.
- Choose Your Weapon by Sarah Rodriguez Pratt – A group of teenagers from different social circles find themselves fighting together to save a world that they visit in their dreams.
What were your favorite books of 2013?