Alright guys, one last reading challenge for 2014. Hosted by Dusky Literati, the 2014 PoC Speculative Fiction Challenge focuses on sci-fi, fantasy, and horror written by or about persons of color. Here are the details and levels of the challenge:
Details of the Challenge:
- This reading challenge runs from 1 January 2014 to 31 December 2014 (books read prior to January 1, 2014 do not count towards the challenge). You can join anytime before November 1, 2014
- Read speculative fiction (and non-fiction) books by and about persons of color. For a list of authors, check out the listings on Wikipedia OR books from my personal library tagged ‘afrofuturism’ on LibraryThing.
- Books can be any format (print, ebook, audio). Graphic novels are also fine
- Re-reads and crossovers from other reading challenges are allowed
- You can choose your books as you go or create a list in advance
- I will put up a post for reviews at the beginning of January
1-5 books — Shapeshifter
6-10 books — Sorcerer
11-15 books — Superhero
16+ books — Post-apocalyptic Survivor
Once you pick a level you can go higher and read more books but you cannot go down a level.
I’m going to aim for Sorcerer, which seems like a modest but reasonable goal. That, and sorcerers are awesome.
I’ll be participating and helping host two N.K. Jemisin readalongs early in the year. Octavia Butler’s a given, as I have several of her books that I haven’t read yet. I’m also thinking the sequel to “Tankborn,” a YA sci-fi novel that I read earlier this year.
Let’s do this!