During 2013, I didn’t join any year-long reading challenges. I was just coming out of a blogging hiatus, and it was all I could do to keep up with the occasional regular reviews. However, now that I don’t have to balance grad school with blogging, I’m reading to get ambitious and join some challenges again!
The first of these is the 2014 TBR Pile Reading Challenge hosted by Evie @Bookish. Like many book bloggers, my TBR pile has gotten out of control. I promised people reviews back in 2012 that I still haven’t written yet. The TBR Pile Reading Challenge is a good excuse for me to start tackling those books.
Here are the rules:
- This challenge will run from Jan 1, 2014 – Dec 31, 2014.
- Anyone can enter! You don’t have to be a blogger, as long as you review the book you’ve read! (On your blog, Amazon, Random Buzzers or Goodreads/Shelfari!)
- Any genre, length or format of book counts, as long as it is a book that’s been sitting on your shelf for some time now. Short stories and novellas are OK, too! Only books released in 2013 and earlier! NO 2014 ARCs and 2014 fresh-off-the-press releases allowed!
- You can list your books in advance or just put them in a wrap-up post. If you list them, feel free to change them as the mood takes you.
- When you sign up in the linky, put the direct link to your post about joining the 2013 TBRPILE Reading Challenge. (If you don’t have a blog, post about it on Facebook or Tweet!)
- You can move up levels, but no moving down.
- Sign-ups will be open until Dec 15, 2014, so feel free to join at any time throughout the year.
- On the 20th of each month we will post a wrap-up post, here, on BOOKISH. Every wrap-up will have it’s unique theme, a mini-challenge, a giveaway and place for you to link up your reviews from this month. For each review you link up, you will get one entry in a drawing of one book of choice from Book Depository. It’s open to INTERNATIONALS. The giveaway will be open until the next wrap up post goes up! (i.e. the entire month)
- If you miss a wrap-up post + giveaway, you can link up your reviews next month. Do not, however, try to link up one review twice – we will be checking
- December is a wrap-up for the whole year. All the book reviews you linked up January-November + the ones you’ll link up in December will be entered into a GRAND PRIZE giveaway.
- You don’t have to follow Bookish Blog to join the challenge, but you do have to follow us to be entered in giveaways!
Here are the different levels of participation. You can move up at any time, but you can’t move down.
1-10 – A Firm Handshake
11-20 – A Friendly Hug
21-30 – First Kiss
31-40 – Sweet Summer Fling
41-50 – Could this be love?
50+ – Married With Children
Right now, my goal is to read 12 books from my TBR pile, which puts me firmly in “A Friendly Hug.” If I read one book off my TBR pile this month, then I should be able to reach that goal. I want to be able to balance my old and new books, and to make sure that I tackle some of the books that have been sitting on my shelf for a while. I’m not writing a list that’s firmly set in stone, but here are a few of the books I’d like to start with:
- Redshirts by John Scalzi
- The Twelve by Jasper Kent
- The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin
- Control Point by Myke Cole